Get in touch with Royal Surrey

If you can’t find the number you are looking for, please contact our switchboard on 01483 571 122. The team will be happy to help.

Our address is: 

Royal Surrey County Hospital
Egerton Road
GU2 7XX*

*Please note, the post code will take you to the rear of the hospital on sat navs. To come to the main entrance, please continue straight at the traffic lights onto Gill Avenue and follow the road signs for the car park entrances.

Outpatient appointments

Our Outpatient Appointment Centre is open Monday to Friday, between 8.30am to 5.30pm (excluding bank holidays).

If you need to change or cancel your appointment please give us as much notice as possible so that we can offer the time to another patient.

You can call us on 01483 464 002 or email us at

Relatives' Office

You can contact our Relatives' Office on 01483 303 361 to discuss any hospital bereavements.

St Luke's Cancer Centre

Oncology Outpatients
01483 406 761

Radiotherapy Reception
01483 406 600

Radiotherapy Booking Office
01483 571 122 ext. 6632/2570

Radiotherapy Private Patients
01483 571 122 ext. 6530

Nuclear Medicine Reception
01483 406 700

Chemotherapy Outpatients
01483 406 787

Chilworth Day Unit
01483 571 122 ext. 6842

Onslow Ward
01483 406 858 or 01483 406 859

Comments, Compliments and Complaints

We welcome and value your feedback on our services as we recognise that this helps us to identify those aspects of our service where we can improve.


If you have had a good experience while a patient at our hospital then we would love to hear from you. Your feedback is very valuable information and we are grateful for you taking the time.

Positive feedback is welcomed and helps us to understand what is important for you as a patient, carer, relative or as a visitor.

Please share any compliments on our NHS Choices page  and we will ensure your views are shared with our staff or your compliments can be sent directly to the appropriate Ward Manager.


If you have a concern about your care, the care of a relative or about any aspect of our services, in the first instance you should discuss your concerns with the Nurse or Doctor looking after you or your relative, or, Ward Sister or Matron.

If you would like to speak to a member of the Doctors team including the Consultant, you can ask a member of the Nursing Staff or Reception Staff to arrange an appointment for you. Some wards have relative’s clinics to facilitate communication with the Doctors caring for you or your relative.

If you are unable to resolve your concerns by talking to a member of staff, you may wish to contact the Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS), which provides support and advice to patients, their families and friends.

If you are still not satisfied and the problem still remains unresolved you can make a formal complaint.

How do I make a formal complaint?

If you wish to make a formal complaint you can do so by:

  • Writing to the Chief Executive at the following address: 
    Royal Surrey County Hospital, Egerton Road, Guildford, Surrey, GU2 7XX
  • Emailing your complaint to
  • Telephoning the Complaints Team on 01483 464831.

Please be assured your care and treatment provided by the Trust will not be affected as a result of making a complaint.

How are complaints investigated?

The notes below are a brief guide to our complaints procedure, if you would like more information please do not hesitate to contact our complaints team on 01483 464831.

  • We will take your complaint seriously, treat correspondence in confidence, fully investigate all of your concerns and advise you of our findings
  • Our response will be objective, open, honest, address all the concerns and we will explain any clinical terminology
  • We will include an explanation of what happened and why.
  • Our response will advise you of the actions taken to improve our service as a result of your experience and include an appropriate apology.
  • We will acknowledge your complaint within 3 working days of receipt, and provide you with a personal contact in our complaints team.
  • If you have anything to add to your initial comments, we would appreciate receiving these as soon as possible.
  • If the complainant is not the patient, we will seek authority from the patient to disclose their medical information to a third party.
  • We will ask for reports from the staff involved to help us investigate your concerns.
  • We will provide a written response within 25 working days or as soon as our investigation is complete.
  • If we are unable to meet these timescales we will write to you to explain why and when we expect to provide you with your response.
  • Making a complaint as an inpatient or outpatient will not adversely affect the care you receive.
  • We will not file your complaint correspondence in the patient’s medical records.

We hope our reply will answer your concerns in full. However, if you remain dissatisfied, we would encourage you to contact us again, as we are keen to provide a mutually satisfactory conclusion.

Frequently Asked Questions

Will the Chief Executive see my complaint?

When your complaint is received by the Trust, it will be passed to the Complaints Team who is responsible for reviewing all complaints and sending them to the relevant teams for their responses.

Once the investigation has been completed, you will receive a signed written response from the Chief Executive. In order to provide this response, the Chief Executive will review your complaint and the response prior to signing to ensure that it addresses all of the concerns that you have raised.  In the Chief Executive’s absence, your response will be signed by another member of the Trust’s Executive Team.

What if I need help writing a complaint?

If you require any independent advice or guidance when making your complaint, we suggest that you contact Surrey Independent Living Council who provides the NHS Health Complaints Advocacy Service in Surrey. Their contact details can be found below;

Surrey Independent Living Council
Tel: 01483 310500

When should I expect to receive a response to my complaint?

The Trust aims to respond to all formal complaints within 25 working days of receipt.  Sometimes, investigations can take longer than this, in which case you will be sent a holding letter informing you of this.

What can I do if I am unhappy with the outcome of my complaint?

If you are unhappy with the outcome of your complaint, please contact the Complaints Team to discuss the options available to you. These include; the Trust providing a second written response to your outstanding concerns or arranging a Local Resolution Meeting with staff involved in your complaint to discuss and resolve your concerns face to face.

Alternatively, you have the right to refer your complaint to the Parliamentary and Health Services Ombudsman (PHSO). Their contact details can be found below;

Parliamentary Health Service Ombudsman
Address: Millbank Tower, Millbank, London, SW1 4QP
Tel: 0345 015 4033

I have been offered a Local Resolution Meeting. What is this and what can I expect to happen during this meeting?

A Local Resolution Meeting is an opportunity for complainants to meet with the relevant Trust staff involved in their complaint in order for their concerns and questions to be addressed face to face. Sometimes, people find this preferable to receiving a written response.

These meetings take place on a date and time that is suitable for both you (and your friend/family member if you choose to attend with one) and the staff involved. A member of the Complaints Team will also be present to take an audio recording of the meeting (a copy of which is provided to you afterwards) and to ensure that you have the opportunity to have your concerns heard and addressed.

Local Resolution Meetings typically take between 60-90 minutes and 90 minutes is the maximum time allocated for these meetings to take place. These meetings take place at the Trust in one of our meeting rooms.

During a Local Resolution Meeting, you will be welcomed to share your thoughts, feelings and questions with staff who will in turn attempt to answer your questions as best as possible and provide explanations as to why things have happened.

If you are invited to attend a Local Resolution Meeting, we ask that you are polite and respectful in your manner towards the staff that you meet with and we commit to treating you with the same respect in return. We understand that complainants may feel a mixture of emotions including hurt, upset, frustrated and angry however it is important that these meetings are as productive as possible.

Can I complain anonymously?

Yes, however the information that can be provided to you will be limited without the ability to review the documentation surrounding your care.

Further, if you are expecting to receive a response we will be unable to do this without your contact details. Please be aware that all of our enquiries and complaints are treated confidentially.

Will I be treated differently or will my care be compromised if I complain?

Please be assured that your care and treatment provided by the Trust will not be compromised by your complaint.

I want to make a complaint on behalf of someone else. How do I do this?

After submitting your complaint to the Complaints Team you will receive an acknowledgment letter alongside a Form of Authority which will need to be completed and signed by the patient to confirm that they are happy for their details to be shared with you. If the patient has passed away, this form will need to be signed by their next of kin or the executor of the estate.

More information regarding this process can be obtained from the Complaints Team.

I want to make a complaint on behalf of someone else but I don’t want them to know. How do I do this?

Unfortunately without the consent of the patient, we will be unable to share specific details regarding their care with you. We will however be able to provide you with a response omitting these details although we recognise that this may not be able to fully address your concerns.

My complaint is about a specific member of staff, will they see my complaint?

If your complaint names a specific member of staff, you will receive a response from their Line Manager/Clinical Supervisor and a statement from the member of staff concerned.  If the Line Manager/Clinical Supervisor feels that the member of staff requires additional training as a result of your complaint, this will be arranged accordingly.

I want to see a copy of my medical records, how do I do this?

All requests for medical records need to be made directly with the Medical Records Department.

Upheld Complaints

Please click here to access our list of upheld complaints.

Freedom of Information Disclosure Log

Before sending us a new request, please search our disclosure log and archives in case we have already answered it for someone else.

Please be aware that although the information on this page was accurate at the time of publishing, unless the timelines of our response correspond with your information request, it may not now be, and should not be relied upon. This includes any links to external contacts which were valid at the time of publication.

Patient Transport

If you are eligible for and need to arrange patient transport, please contact SCAS (South Central Ambulance Service) on telephone number 0300 123 9840.

Press and media enquiries

Members of the Press can contact the Press Office team on 01483 408 337 (Monday to Friday, 9.00am to 5.00pm) or via email at:

For urgent media requests out of office hours, please call switchboard 01483 571 122 and ask to speak to the on-call director.

Royal Surrey Charity